Collecting Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Hollister, CA
Question by breez_98
I have a cut flower garden that thrives every year. Typically it overflows with beautiful flowers, In the past I've collected the seeds from my sweat peas, and then replanted them the next season. My question is how can I gather seeds from my other flowers?

0

Seed collecting isn't too difficult. At the end of the season, allow the last blooms to form seedheads. When the outer sheath or covering looks almost dry (a tinge of green might still remain), collect the seedheads in a paper envelope and take them indoors. Let them thoroughly dry and then open the seedheads and shake the seeds out. You should make sure they're absolutely dry before storine them in an airtight container in a cool, dark place until planting time next spring. If you let the first blooms on a plant go to seed, the plant may not want to develop more flowers, so wait until late summer before allowing flowers to go to seed.