peatpots vs. flats - Knowledgebase Question

New Windsor, NY
Question by kvanledtje
I am planning on growing tomatoes, cucumbers, Tenderpod beans, Crispy Hybrid Peppers, Ghost Rider pumpkins, marigolds, petunias, impatiens, and zinnia this year. I have used flats before but was thinking peat pots would be easier for some of these. I wasn't sure how to water the peatpots or which of these would be better in peat pots vs. flats.

0

The main differences between plastic flats and peat pots are the peat pots dry out faster and can be planted directly in the soil without pulling the plants out. For harder to transplant vegetables such as cucumber, pumpkins and beans, I'd go with the peat pots. These plants have large root systems early and don't like having the roots disturbed. These plants can also be direct seeded into the garden without having to do any transplanting. For the tomatoes, peppers and all the flowers, I'd stick with the plastic flats.

One tip when using peat pots, make sure you bury the pot completely--otherwise, the exposed portion can wick moisture away from the roots. Also, gently break up the botton and sides of the peat pot to help the plant roots penetrate into the soil easier.