PRUNING ROSES - Knowledgebase Question

JAMISON, Pe
Question by KJDECKERT
HOW DO I PRUNE MY ROSES SO THEY GET MORE BLOOMS? I WAS TOLD BEFORE WHERE TO CLIP THEM ON THE STEM BUT FORGOT. AT THE END OF SEASON DO I HAVE TO TRIM THEM DOWN OR JUST LEAVE THEM? WHAT IS THE BEST SOIL MIX TO PLANT THE ROSES IN?

0

You don't have to trim your roses at the end of the season but in the spring, just as the buds begin to swell, prune your shrub roses down to about 2'. Then remove the oldest canes, leaving 3-5 of the most vigorous canes. Prune these to an outside facing bud (in the direction you want the plant to grow). Then, to encourage additional blooms, cut the spent flowers off down to a 5-leaflet leaf. This is where new roses will appear. Roses will grow in average soil, as long as it drains well. If you're planting in a container, use half-potting soil and half-garden soil.

Best wishes with your roses!