Soil Structure - Knowledgebase Question

Kingsland, GA
Question by ADVKMF
Recently,I purchased 25 'Sweet Charlie' strawberry plants from a net merchant. They are well known in our area but soil conditions aren't the best where we live. I considered a raised bed so what kind of soil should I use? i.e. Peat-Humus, Peat Moss, Compost, etc.

0

Ah, are you a gardener of the infamous Georgia Red Clay? A mixture of compost and peat humus sounds good to me, and I'm sure it will to your berry plants! If your soil is compacted, first loosen it as best you can so water can drain freely from the introduced soil you'll place on top of it. You'll probably have to water your young strawberries more often in a raised bed because of the increased drainage, but a layer of mulch will do much to help soil retain moisture. Hope this helps!