Pots - Knowledgebase Question

Germantown, Wi
Question by jacsophie
Thank you so much for the answer on putting a small tree in a pot by my front door. Another question. What type of pot, meaning material wise, should I plant the tree in. It will be outdoors all year round. Thank you!

0

At one time your only choices were terra cotta, ceramic, plastic or wood. But recently resin pots have shown up in gardening centers. These are made to look like terra cotta, wood or ceramic but are much more durable. So, if you have a choice, go for the resin.

Terra cotta can shatter in the cold; they wick moisture away from the potting soil and can dry out in a hurry if placed in the sun. Ceramic, too, can split or shatter. Plastic may be more durable in the short haul, but will eventually deteriorate in the elements. Wood is the most rugged for outdoors if you can't find resin pots.

If you're open to container styles, I'd choose one with a barrel or square shape. These provide more room for roots and are less apt to blow over in a wind storm. I'd find a container thats about one-third as high as the tree is tall; too small and your tree will look topheavy, too large and your tree will look lost.

Hope this information is helpful!