Sunburn on Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Tonawanda, NY
Question by bobmakey
The tomatoes you picture in your catalog never have the slightest indication of sunburn. How can I grow tomatoes without any sunburn. Is it even possible?

0

My goodness! Sure! Sunscald occurs on tomatoes when they are exposed to the direct rays of the sun during hot weather.

Just like you wear a hat to protect your face, a tomato has leaves! Don't be too quick to cut back any leaves in orderto quicken ripening. Also, plants defoliated from insect or disease attack leave tomatoes exposed, so try to catch pest problems early.

You can also try to cover the exposed fruit with lightweight material (maybe even some cheesecloth purchased inthe grocery or hardware store) to protect ripening fruit from the sun.