White Powder on Rose Foliage - Knowledgebase Question

Salem, IN
Question by pam81
My miniture rose has what looks like a fine dusting of powder on its leaves. What is it and how can I get rid of it?

0

Sounds as though your rose has powdery mildew, a fungal disease. It is quite common on all types of roses. Try using a homemade baking soda/oil spray: mix 1 tsp. baking soda and 2.5 tsp. summer oil (a lightweight horticultural oil) in 1 gallon of water. Spray this once per week, covering both upper and lower leaf surfaces. Also, keep your roses healthy through proper care, since they'll be more resistant to disease. A sunny location, good air circulation all around the plant, and ample moisture are essential. You can remove the leaves affected with powdery mildew so it won't spread to healthy leaves.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"