Ponds - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Myers, Fl
Question by pink_pixie
I'm starting a water garden. I plan to have some koi in the pond, and I know they like to eat most of the plants, but I've read they need a lot of plants to shade them during the day.

My question is, what are some good plants for Southwest Florida for in and around a pond?

Thanks! :)

0

Brenda,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

To plants which you may find useful include wax myrtle and silver buttonwood. The following website lists plants or wet areas but it is geared to North Florida:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG253

I suggest you contact your County Extension Office at the following location:
Lee County Extension, 3406 Palm Beach Blvd, Ft. Myers, FL 33916-3736
Phone: (239) 533-4327
Ask them for locally adapted plants for using around a pond. They should have some good suggestions for you.