To late to start? - Knowledgebase Question

URBANA, Io
Question by jsohana3
I live in Iowa, and the ground has finally dried out from the winter snow and all the rain, is it too late to start a garden?

0

Thank goodness the ground is starting to dry out! You can still start a garden. I'd choose plants with short-season maturity dates. Early Girl tomatoes, for example, and summer squash (with a 45-50 day maturity) are good choices, as are radishes. Check the backs of the seed packets for the days to maturity and choose those with less than 60 days. You should still be able to grow beans, but corn and melons might be out of the question. In late summer you can sow seeds of cool season plants such as lettuces and peas. As for flowers, most annuals will still grow and flower for you before the weather cools too much.

Good luck with your garden!
Best wishes with your garden!