Afternoon sun plants - Knowledgebase Question

Sioux City, Io
Question by tigerclan
What plants would do well in my climate, with morning shade to direct sun all afternoon? Also this area has been bare for years and has residues of dog urine.
This winter all the urine melted to this area. The dogs are no longer in the area. How do I neutralize the soil? Thanks, Sally

0

Some of the sun loving perennials that grow well in your gardening region include: Ajuga, Aster, Astilbe, Black-eyed Susan, Calla Lily, Canna, Clematis, Columbine, Coneflower, Coral Bells, Coreopsis, Daylily, Dianthus, Diascia, Geranium,
Hibiscus, Iris, Lily, Lungwort, Mullein, Ornamental Grass, Penstemon, Peony, Phlox, Salvia, Scabiosa, Sedum, Thyme, Tiarella, Verbena, Veronica, and Yarrow. Roses are always a nice addition to the garden, as well.

Depending upon how much residue is there, you may have to replace the soil prior to planting. You can also dig or rototil the soil and then water it thoroughly to help dissapate the urine residue. Eventually it will degrade if exposed to sunlight and fresh air.

Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"