Toxin from Sunflower Hulls - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Garden Friend
old town, ME
Question by sherryanne19
I feed the squirrels and the birds with black oil sunflower seeds. I get a buildup under the feeders, falling into my flowerbeds. It seems to inhibit growth of many plants. Even with regular raking I have lost many young spring plants. What plants will withstand the seeds?

0

Yes, there IS a toxin in the hulls of sunflower seeds that wil kill plants...whether grass or other plants. The simple, and MUCH neater aproach is to buy "Sunflower Hearts" or "Chipped Sunflower Seed". I have been doing this for years and it sure makes a difference. The birds eat EVERYTHING. If the seed drops to the ground, the ground feeders pick it up-or the squirrels and chipmunks get it.

It is more expensive, but you're not paying for the hulls...or the time you need toput in to clean up the mess! It really does work. Take it from one who knows. :-)

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"