Sand for flower bed. - Knowledgebase Question

US
Question by jgeiger008
I just moved into my home and took all the weeds out of the flower bed where I noticed there was tons of sand.. How do I plant differant kind of plants and bulbs there?

0

Sand is often added to clayey soils to help it drain faster. I'd put a 4-5" layer of compost or other organic matter over the top of the bed and then dig it in to a depth of 8-10". This will help sandy soil retain more moisture and if there's clay beneath the sand, mixing the sand and organic matter into the clay will help it drain more quickly. Once you've incorporated all the amendments, rake the soil smooth and plant. When you've finished planting you can add a few more inches of organic matter over the bare soil. This will help suppress weeds and will also break down over the growing season, adding nutrients to the soil. Enjoy your flower bed!