Planting Elephant Ears - Knowledgebase Question

turner, OR
Question by smithemelai
I've never dealt with this plant; can you tell me about it? According to the directions on the package, I planted it two-inches deep. Will it flower, or does it just have foliage?

0

Elephant's Ear (Colocasia esculenta), is a tuberous-rooted perennial native to tropical Asia. Planted in a protected spot in your garden, Elephant's Ear will grow to 6 feet tall, with mammoth, heart-shaped leaves within one season. Its tropical appearance is especially nice near decks and patios. It needs protection from wind, which tears the leaves. The foliage will die down in the winter, but new growth will appear the following spring. Elephant's Ear doesn't flower, but it's an attractive focal point because of the size of the leaves! Enjoy your new plant!