Planting star jasmine plants and keep in container until Fall - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Rosa, Ca
Question by jaqwolf
Hi I just decreased the size of my lawn. Want to plant star jasmine in the earily fall, but would like to buy now. What is thwe best way to keep plants in containers until then? It is had to find these plants late in the season. Place in larger containers or? soil prep? Thanks Jack

0

I think you're wise in choosing the plants now, while the selection is still good. You should be able to keep the plants in their original containers until planting time in the fall. Group the containers together to provide some shelter from direct sunshine, or place them near other shrubs so the shrubs will protect the containers from the hot sunshine. The biggest concern with plants in nursery containers is that they can overheat when placed in direct sun and can actually bake the roots. So find a protected spot in your garden to set the new star jasmines. They will still want their tops in the sun. Water once or twice a week (depending upon weather) and they should be just fine. When planting, prepare the planting bed by spreading 4-5" of organic matter over the entire bed and then digging it in to a depth of 8-10". This organic matter (compost, aged-manure, etc.) will loosen the soil for good root penetration and will help the soil hold moisture - yet drain quickly. Water your plants in well after planting and then water once a week until the roots are established (usually a few months).

Best wishes with your new plants!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"