White Fungus on Oak Tree branches - Knowledgebase Question

Brenham, TX (Zone 8B)
Question by darlahutch
I have two oak trees that have a white fungus covering most of the branches and trunk of tree. What should I tree the tree with? Is this an insect or disease of the trees?

0

Darla,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

You are seeing a white mold type of us on the tree it is either a lichen growing on the outer bark, or possibly a decomposer fungi growing on a section of the tree branch that is already dead. I suggest you take a sample and if possible some good photos of the white areas to your County Extension Office for them to look over and assess