taking care of begonias - Knowledgebase Question

jonesborough, Te
Question by limiblank
hi,
my husband brought me home 5 begonias (they can take full sun) how often do you water them, can they dry out first or do they need to consistently moist. do you give them fertilizer? can they stay in the coconut basket? do i pinch off old flowers? or are they pretty self sufficient. what is the difference between humus and say miracle grow? new garden, please forgive stupid questions. i don't want to ruin what i have already planted. i assume begonias are a perennial, am i right?
thank you,
linda

0

Linda,

I sent the info on watering via e-mail a moment ago. Now regarding the other parts of your question. Pinching flowers is not needed. They will drop their own blooms but if you like you can remove any dried remnants that are left on the plant. Humus is decomposed organic matter and is good for plants but doesn't have the nutrient content concentration of a fertilizer such as Miracle Gro. Fibrous rooted begonias are annuals while tuberous rooted begonias are perennials. Don't worry about "stupid" questions. Gardening is a life long learning process and we welcome your questions!