What should I do to sandy soil containing ants before planting? - Knowledgebase Question

west palm beach, Fl
Question by engleton
What should I do to sandy soil containing ants before planting? I want to plant in Zone 10 during August. I want to add plants to a small bed in front of my townhome that contains an ixora hedge with copper stains(the HOA does not care very well for the plants) and a misshapen hybiscus tree with pink leaves. I am looking for plants that stay small with year round color and fragrance.

0

Susan,

It is tough to plant successfully in summer. Don't worry about the ants. They don't matter. Spread 2 inches of compost and mix it as deeply into the soil as is practical. Keep the new plants moist by regular watering and wait to fertilize until at least a couple of months after planting.