Prunus x have fruit? - Knowledgebase Question

US
Question by bpsportsss
I recently purchased a royal burgundy flowering cherry tree - the prunus x. The description on the ticket says nothing about having fruit but I found online that the Japanese flowering cherry has fruit. So I am not sure if the tree I have will produce fruit.

0

Your Royal Burgundy Japanese Cherry will not produce edible fruit. It is sold as an ornamental. It will flower and the flowers will develop ovoid cherry-like fruit, but the fruit will not be something you'll want to harvest and eat. When fruiting cherry trees develop fruit, they are actually developing seeds, surrounded by flesh. The fleshy part is what we enjoy eating. Your ornamental tree will go through the motions of developing fruits but they will be incomplete and will not produce seeds surrounded by fleshy fruit. They simply will not ripen the way regular cherries do.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"