New Bark in lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Redmond, Wa
Question by sunnyv6
I just added new bark for my yard. I am wondering if there are any tips to protect the bark and prevent weeds growing from under it.

I understand that I cannot totally prevent it but is there any preventive measures that I can take (like spraying some solution on the bark etc..) that will result in less weeds growing from under the bark.

0

I almost wish you had asked your question before you spread your bark. If you had, I would have suggested rolling some weed barrier over the entire bed, anchoring it down, then choosing your plants and cutting the weed block fabric to dig holes for each plant, then covering the weed barrier with bark. It's too late to do that now (but keep it in mind for next time). A thick layer of bark will help suppress weeds and weeds will be easy to pull out of the bark because they won't root as well there as they will in the soil. So the trick is to pull weeds while they are small, before they set seeds and before their roots get a good foothold in the soil beneath the bark. There are some pre-emergent herbicides on the market. You can broadcast these products on the bark and water them in so they settle down into the bark. They can help suppress weeds. Look for brand names such as Preen. Be sure to apply according to label directions.

Good luck with your project!