japanese beetles - Knowledgebase Question

Saint Albans, Ma
Question by cjbrawn
What is best method for controlling japanese beetles? Is there anything I can do this fall to prevent them from being a problem next year?

0

Japanese beetles are a difficult pest to control. Your best bet is a two-prong approach: one to deal with the larvae, one to deal with the adults. Japanese beetle grubs are best controlled by spraying beneficial nematodes on the lawn and garden area. These microscopic worm-like creatures attack only the grubs in the soil and not plants, animals or humans. Spray them in spring when the temperatures are above 55F. You can buy the beneficial nematodes from Gardeners Supply, 128 Intervale Rd., Burlington, VT 05401 800-863-1700 For adult beetles, I'd try a new product called whole neem oil. This is different than standard Bioneem in that it is a stronger concentration of this organic spray. It's available from Greenlight Co., Box 17985, San Antonio, TX 78217, 210-494-3481. Rotenone and Pyrethrum sprays are also effective on the adult beetles. It is available from Home Depot.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"