Garden planning...VERY new to it all! - Knowledgebase Question

Keller, Te
Question by jlamooney
The only open area I have to start a garden is shaded most of the day (but not heavily) and I would love to start growing veggies and fruits.

What vegetables and fruits can I grow in containers that can be moved around in and out of the sun? When would be the best time to start growing in containers? and Should I start from plant or seed?

Thanks so much in advance for your response!

0

Lindsay,

You can pretty much grow any veggie in a container except corn. If a veggie is grown for its roots or fruit it needs at least 6 hrs of sun. If it is grown for its leaves then it can take less sun and be okay. Now is a good time to start several types of vegetables. the following web site is a good guide for your area of the state:
http://tarrant.tamu.edu/garden...

Regarding fruit in containers you should stick to strawberries and dwarf citrus for best results. Citrus will need to be moved into a protected spot in winter.