Plant, tree problems. - Knowledgebase Question

Hoover, Al
Question by mjwinter2
1. My impatiens are drying at ground level and dying. Any suggestions as to the cause?

2. The tips of my pear tree branches are turning dark and dying. Any help is appreciated.

0

I'm afraid impatiens don't like hot weather and if you keep the soil too moist, they can develop a disease that collapes the stems. I'd pull the plants out of the garden and replant healthy new plants next spring.

I would prune away the infected plant parts on your pear tree. They may be a result of hot weather and/or drought, or they could be symptoms of a disease called fire blight. If the problem returns again next year it may indeed be fireblight and your tree will need to be sprayed on a regular basis. Let's hope the problem is just weather related and won't return next year!