Best time for Transplanting A Butterfly Bush in Zone 6 - CT - Knowledgebase Question

Middletown, Co
Question by alkieft
I have a butterfly bush that is 2 years old. It has been overwhelmed by the black eyed susan I have so I thought I should give it more growing space. When is the best time to transplant it. Thank you.

0

You can transplant your butterfly bush now in the fall, or you can wait until spring to move it. Spring is normally when we prune butterfly bushes to encourage new growth. If you wait until spring to move it, you can first prune it down before digging. Pruning might make it easier to handle during the move. Whenever you choose to move your butterfly bush, be sure to water it deeply to help settle the soil and then water every week to help the roots re-establish in their new home.

Best wishes with your garden!