Perennial Bed - Knowledgebase Question

US
Question by dnjolley
What do I need to do to prepare my naturalized perennial beds for winter to get best reults next Spring... survival of current plants, successful natural germination of seeds, etc. I'd like to enrich soil with compost. Do I just broadcast it over the beds?

0

Since you plan to add compost to the soil you might want to collect the seeds from your flowering plants to broadcast over the soil after you've incorporated the compost. Otherwise you might bury the seeds that are dropped by your plants. I'd place some compost over the bare earth around the plants and dig it into the soil. Then broadcast the seeds you saved from your flowers. After frost kills the tops of your perennials, cut them off and place compost over the crowns of the plants to help insulate them from winter cold. Your garden should pop right up in the spring.

Enjoy!