Average rainfall for the midwest (zone 5) - Knowledgebase Question

South Haven, Mi
Question by kndibble
I have been doing some research on what types of plants I can plant in my zone 5 perennial garden. I have found a few plants like Apache Plume (Fallugia paradox) that really interest me, however, I am afraid in the midwest they may get too much moisture.

On average, how much rainfall does zone 5 in the midwest (I am in Southwest Michigan) receive? If I elevate my perennial bed to supply adequate drainage to these types of xeriscape perennials, will they survive?

0

The average rainfall in South Haven, MI is about 34 inches. That's 3 inches below the national average. You're right - placing your plants in a raised bed will ensure the soil drains quickly enough to keep them from becoming oversaturated. Best wishes with your new plants!