mushrooms in vegtable garden - Knowledgebase Question

White, Ge
Question by patmalnee
September 13, 2008
I have mushrooms popping up in my peppers i have growing in a large barrel. Are the peppers safe to eat? Do i need to treat the bed?


Image
Answer from NGA
September 13, 2008

0

Though unattractive, the mushrooms are harmless. Just pick them when they appear and throw them away. They are growing because there is some decomposing organic matter beneath the soil surface. Rotting wood (perhaps from the inside of the barrel?) or decomposing potting soil are perfect nourishment for mushrooms. As long as you don't consume the mushrooms, they shouldn't cause problems for you. They won't taint your peppers. Rinse the peppers off before eating and they will be fine.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"