Wilting African Violet - Knowledgebase Question

Choctaw, OK
Question by rbbarrett
I have a pink African violet that bloomed profusely and beautifully for quite awhile. After it finally finished blooming, it has slowly been wilting. Nothing seems to revive it. I have it in an african violet planter that automatically waters it and Iuse Miracle Grow in the water. It is still getting new leaves, but the older leaves continue to droop.

0

Your African violet may have been overwatered, or it needs the fertilizer salts flushed from the soil. In either case, repotting may be the easiest solution. Just be sure to use African violet potting soil and wash out the pot with soap and water before repotting. If the soil is too wet the roots die and the plant actually starves for water. The tendency is to add more water, but that makes the situation worse. Only bottom water when the soil is dry. Also, after using fertilizers for awhile, salts build up in the soil and can harm the roots. Flush the container monthly with water until it drains out the bottom for a few minutes to flush out the salts.