lawns - Knowledgebase Question

bessemer city, No
Question by patchtwo
All of a sudden I have a lot of mushrooms in my lawn that I have never had in the last 10 years.These are softball size mushrooms. Today I have discovered some small ones.How do I get rid of them?

0

If the mushrooms are random or scattered rather than in a circle, they are probably growing because there's something underground that's decomposing. Usually an old tree stump, tree roots, or even leftover wood from construction are some of the causes for mushrooms growing on the soil surface. Sometimes excessive thatch, a layer of organic matter (peatmoss, etc.) that you have applied to your lawn will also encourage mushroom growth. You can dig up the debris, or you can just rake up the mushrooms before they mature and release spores (that will produce more mushrooms). Dispose of the mushrooms in the trash rather than tossing them into your compost bin. Mushrooms can also be a result of poor nutrition and poor drainage in your lawn. Rake to remove the mushrooms, then put your lawn on a regular maintenance schedule. You may need to aerate the lawn to remove decomposing thatch and help with the compaction problem. Fertilize four times a year with a 3-1-2 ratio of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium, applying one pound of actual nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn per year. Be sure to water regularly so the lawn will grow thick enough to crowd out (or hide) the mushrooms.

Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"