Help, my tomato plants are sickly - Knowledgebase Question

Franklin, Ge
Question by smith8401
I live in Ga south of Atlanta and have some tomato plants that only produce small tomatoes. What makes them do this? I have already pulled off the first tomatoes. Also, the plants are all small, they don't get full and produce. Also, I water them once a day in the evening. I have one plant that has completely lost all bottom stems and only has green leaves at the very top. The others have a lot of yellow leaves or just dead stems. How can I make them be what they should be.

0

Carole,
Some types of tomatoes are small naturally. Perhaps your plants are not the varieties they were tagged to be. Stress such as drought can make a variety produce smaller than normal fruit but your description of care seems to eliminate this possibility. I think the plants have lost foliage due to fungal leaf diseases or spider mites over the course of the season. Both can be sprayed for but at this late date such spraying is not needed. The plants don't have much season left and there won't be a benefit from spraying them now.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"