Potato Vines - Knowledgebase Question

Pomona, Ca
Question by gloria1203
I just bought two potato vines for each side of my garage. I want to know more about this vine before I plant them.

0

Solanum jasminoides (Potato vine) is a semi-evergreen or evergreen climber, growing to 20 feet tall. The leaves are slender, ovate to lancolate, shiny, deep green, to 2 inches long. The flowers are fragrant, blue and white with yellow anthers, to 1 inch wide, held in axillary and terminal corymbs to 3 inches across, and borne in summer and fall. Fruit is black and ovoid. This plant is native to Brazil and needs to be protected from frost. (Frost is unusual in your growing region, but can occur so take precautionary measures if winter weather is cold. Provide full sunshine and some support for the vine to grow onto; water thoroughly and then allow the top inch of soil to dry out before watering again. Your plant won't require any feeding, just well-draining soil and a deep soaking once or twice a week.

Enjoy your new plants!