Over seeding - Knowledgebase Question

Waxhaw, No
Question by sctrammell
I have a seed from Vigoro (tall fescue for sun and shade). My lawn isn't that weel established with what is already there. Bare in many spots, etc...

My plan is to over seed. I did n experiment to see how well the grass would take in a small 5' x 8 foot area and it seems to be taking very well. Here is what I did. I wet the ground really good and applied the seeds, then I put approximately a hal inch of peat moss over the seed to help retain moisture. I plan to do this to the entire yard.

Is this a good plan and is there something else yu would direct me to do.

Thank you!

0

Actually, what you did was perfect! I'd rake the debris out of the bare spots so the seeds make good contact with the soil, then broadcast the seeds and top it off with a little peat moss. The peat will help hide the seeds from hungry birds and will help keep the seeds moist so they will germinate quickly. If you have lots of seeds you can overseed the entire lawn. If not, just broadcasing over the bare spots will at least eliminate them from the turf area.

Best wishes with your lawn!