morning glory seeds - Knowledgebase Question

US
Question by ma03127
While harvesting morning glory seeds I found several pods had black seeds. At first I thought they might be on a weed that had grown in with my garden, but I found some

0

When morning glory seeds are ripe, they are dark-brown to matte-black. Light brown or tan seeds are probably not mature. Before tossing them, though, you might want to try a germination test to see if they will sprout. Take about a dozen seeds of various colors, nick the seed coats, soak them overnight, then place them on a paper towel and put them into an unsealed plastic bag. Check every few days to see if they are sprouting. You'll be able to tell within a week whether the seeds are viable. Because of the alkaloid coating, many states ban the sale or exchange of morning glory seeds so I wouldn't attempt to share them over the internet. Instead, try a local garden club or some neighborhood gardeners.