Soil recipe for South Florida? - Knowledgebase Question

Coral Gables, Fl
Question by vas2
November 3, 2008
Hello, We have a small (10' x 1') raised bed garden in our Miami backyard. Last year we used organic soil from Home Depot and planted various locally-obtained tomato seedlings, but never got much production beyond a few first fruits. I think the soil was holding too much moisture and I read recently that it should be a mixture of organic soil, compost, peat moss, coarse builders sand and Perlite. However, I don't know what the best recipe is. Equal parts? What percentages? Thanks to whoever knows about our difficult Florida soil and climate! Valerie Silver

November 3, 2008

Sometimes the first time you mix up a soil and try to garden things don't grow so well. After time the soil seems to settle in and microbial activity picks up and then things do better. I suggest you mix in about 2-3 inches of well decomposed compost or humus and then water the area well and give it a couple of weeks to settle. I think your next attempt and especially your late winter garden will be much better.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"