What is a good time to plant an Elberta peach? I just bought one! HELP,thanx - Knowledgebase Question

Greenville, So
Question by schendeljame
December 7, 2008
My son and I both bought Elberta peaches, we live back to back in Greenville, S.C., zone:middle south.

December 7, 2008

0

You can plant any time the ground is not frozen. We usually recommend spring or fall as ultimate times to plant because temperatures are generally cool and rainfall abundant. Both will help the roots establish quickly. But, as long as you remember to water if the weather is dry, you can plant now. Dig a hole just slightly larger than the nursery pot (or if you purchased bareroot, slightly larger than the root mass). The goal is to plant the tree at the same level as it was growing before. You should be able to see where the soil line is on the trunk. Set it in the hole so the soil line will be the same. After setting the tree in the planting hole, backfill with the soil you took out of the hole and lightly tamp it down. Then water it well to help settle the soil. Most landscape trees and shrubs need about one inch of water per week. If there's no rain, be sure to deeply soak the soil once each week. Best wishes with your new trees!