Bug killer - Knowledgebase Question

west Chicago, Il
Question by jkarnes1
My roses are infected with with bugs. what is the best type of bug killer to use?

0

Not all insecticides are effective against all insect pests, and not all products are safe to use on roses so your best course of action is to have the bugs identified and then choose a product designed especially to protect roses from the pests. If you can't identify the pests, collect a few in a sealable plastic baggie and take them into your garden center or cooperative extension office for positive identification. An easier solution might be to just hose the pests off the plants on a regular basis. I find that in my garden if I simply hose the insects off the rose bushes it takes several days for them to return. Since they are not eating leaves and flowers while they're gone, my plants remain healthy and attractive. I've also discovered that there is a natural balance in the garden. When there is a large population of a destructive pests (such as aphids), beneficial insects (such as lady bugs) seem to appear to help control the population. It just takes a little patience for this natural balance to become apparent. Best wishes with your roses!