how to get rid of peach tree borers - Knowledgebase Question

Sun City, Ca
Question by alberta12345
Hi, my nectarine and peach tree have peach tree borers in the branches. I was pruning the nectarine tree and in the center of the branch there was one. Can you tell me of a spray I can use or anything I can do to get rid of them. I live in the S. California coastal and inland valley.
Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
Irma

0

I honestly think you should collect one or two of the insects you find in your tree and have them professionally identified. It might be that they are not peach tree borers after all. Here's why I'm suspicious: The peachtree borer attacks healthy bark near the soil line, usually just below the ground line or in the lower 12 inches of the trunk. Borers can kill young trees when trunks are girdled by feeding. Borers feed on the growing inner bark of trees, and tunnel between the inner bark and the sapwood. The bark eventually peels off of damaged areas. Damage weakens the tree and predisposes it to attack by other pests and diseases. A gummy mass mixed with sawdust is usually found on the outer bark at the place where a borer started an attack. Entries are often found where there are cankers or wounds caused by other factors such as winter injury. After collecting the insects, place them in a plastic baggie, seal it up and take it to your local Cooperative Extension office for positive identification. Helpful folks there will suggest control remedies based upon what your insects actually are. Here's the contact information:
Cooperative Extension Riverside County
21150 Box Springs Road, Ste 202
Moreno Valley, CA 92557-8718
Phone: (951) 683-6491