Grass - Knowledgebase Question

RALEIGH, NC (Zone 7B)
Question by Valette26
I have an extensivee area for grass, but it is brown and dry. How I can prepare for the next season in the most economical way?

0

There are both cool season and warm season grasses suitable for your growing region. Most landscapes have Bermuda grass which thrives in hot weather, overseeded with ryegrass or fescue, which thrives in the cooler months of the year. Having a mixtue of these two grasses will help you keep your lawn green for most of the year. Based upon your description, I suspect you have Bermuda grass and it is dormant because the weather is cold. As the weather warms up, it should green up. To avoid the dead and brown looking lawn next winter, overseed in October with a cool season grass such as perennial rye. In the meantime, you can begin watering your lawn on a regular basis to encourage new growth and when it does start to green up you can fertilize it. Best wishes with your lawn.