Arizona lawn - Knowledgebase Question

mesa, Ar
Question by pumbaacat
I have a very small lawn for my dogs but a shade tree prevents part of it from growing. I was thinking of having it re-sodded. It currently does not have a sprinkler system. Should I get one installed and what type of grass is best in AZ for a small shady area and dog use? What month is it best to have it done? Thanks.

0

It's difficult to get grass to grow in the shade. The shade mixtures won't grow well in the Arizona heat so your best bet is to purchase sod and plan on replacing it every few years. Bermuda grass remains really green in the summer heat but dies out in the winter; ryegrass remains green in the winter but dies out in the summer heat. So, use Bermuda sod and overseed it with rye in October and you'll have a nice lush lawn for your dogs. February or March, before the heat sets in, are the best times to sod a lawn. I'd definitely have a sprinkler system installed prior to the sod installation. Best wishes with your lawn!