morning glories gone wild - Knowledgebase Question

Hurst, Te
Question by chrismcclure
I love morning glories, but every year they 'come back' (even though I thought they were annuals) & take over everything. I cut them back &, of course, that just makes them get stronger & spread more. In the winter, I pull them all out (at least I *think* I do but come Spring, they 'appear' again & just keep spreading. How do I keep some but not let them take over so much?

0

Morning glories can be either annual or perennial, depending upon your weather. As you have found, they reseed readily and that's what I think you're dealing with. Not only do the roots remain alive but seeds from previous year's plantings are hiding in the soil. The easiest approach is to place cardboard, thick mulch or even weed barrier on the soil around the desireable plants to keep others from sprouting and overtaking the area. To prevent the problem in the future, cut off the spent flowers before they set seeds. Best wishes with your garden!