raised bed gardening - Knowledgebase Question

Ennice, NC
Question by mabsher
Can I place the combination of compost/peat moss right on top of grass for raised bed vegie gardening?

0

Yes, Yes, Yes! It's so satisfying to create a new bed without having to dig up all that sod and remove all the accompanying topsoil. First, mow the grass as low as possible and spread the clippings over the area. Then spread wet newspapers, about 8 layers thick, on top of the grass. Next comes the compost, and I would mix it with manure instead of peat moss because manure contains nitrogen that will help decompose the sod and peat moss tends to repel water. Then spread your topsoil on top and plant. You can create an even deeper bed by spreading the newspapers and manure in the fall, and by spring you'll be able to till everything under. Good luck!