Removal of Poison Ivy and Bindweed - Knowledgebase Question

Rockville Centre, NY
Question by jschus9760
I have a problem with posion ivy and bindweed coming back every year. How can I get rid of them forever without damaging my garden plants?

0

This is a tall order! There isn't a chemical herbicide that will kill just the weeds and spare your garden plants if they're all growing together. Landscape cloth covered with bark mulch will keep the bindweed under control, but you'll need to have the poison ivy removed by a landscaper if it's mixed with your plantings. Removal is best done in the late fall/early spring, while they are without leaves and less likely to cause harm. Once most of it has been chopped down and dug out, install landscape fabric as mentioned above. Then you'll need to be very vigilant to keep them out of the cleaned up areas and removing seedlings or encroaching vines.