Planting Moss Baskets - Knowledgebase Question

Shoreline, WA
Question by sungroup
I plan on making my own moss-lined hanging flower basket. My goal is to have it grow full with lots of flowers. When purchasing the plants for this basket, should I use plants in 2" pots versus 4" pots? If I use 2" plants, should I use more (than I would using 4")?

0

The key to having lush and full hanging baskets is to overplant. It doesn't matter whether you use annuals from 2-inch pots or 4-inch pots, just use an abundance of material and set them in the baskets at varying depths - sort of build as you go by placing sphagnum moss in the bottom of the wire cage and inserting the roots of several plants through the wire. Then add more moss and more plants, so that when you've built the moss up to the top of the cage or basket, you'll have plants cascading from all sides. Then plant several plants on top, so they hang down over the sides. It's difficult to make a recommendation of how many plants to use per basket because it depends upon the size of the basket and the potential size of the annuals. Remember to keep the moss well-watered and fertilized because the roots of the plants will be crowded and will depend upon you to supply the necessary nutrients and moisture to keep them lush and healthy.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"