Cineraria - Knowledgebase Question

Wickliffe, OH
Question by JCnLPD
I bought a beautiful flowering plant today at a supermarket. There was no identification tag except a name - "Cineraria". I would like to know what type of flower this is. It is potted for indoors, but can I plant it outside after danger of spring frost? Is it an annual or perennial? What type of soil, light and watering does it like? Thanks!!

0

Cineraria's proper name is Senecio cruentus. It is a houseplant. It is a beautiful plant but can be disappointing due to it's delicate constitution. Less than it's ideal conditions will zap it in a jiffy. I think one of the reasons they don't put an informative tag on this one is because after flowering, it is basically useless and should be discarded...not exactly a selling point huh? Follow the cultural tips listed below for the best chance of success. Keep in a cool room, 45-55F is ideal. Place in bright light away from direct sunlight. Keep soil moist at all times with tepid water, be careful not to overwater though. If possible, stand the pot on a pebble tray or surround with damp peat moss, this plant likes humidity. Youcould also occasionally mist the air around the plant.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"