daffodils sprouting too early - Knowledgebase Question

Greenwood Village, Co
Question by sreynolds13
We've had a warm winter in Denver and my daffodils started sprouting in early February. Will they start flowering now or wait till April or May when they are supposed too flower? How can I slow them down? I tried piling up some more mulch on top of them but they grew through. Is there anything I can do?

Sue Reynolds

0

Plants are amazing and can withstand all kinds of crazy weather, so relax. Your daffodils will slow their growth when the weather is cold and will grow slowly when the weather warms up again. I've had them sprout in December and then just sit there in a state of suspended animation until March when the weather was to their liking. The additional mulch won't stop them from sprouting and the foliage is thick and filled with fluid that acts like an antifreeze so everything should be fine until it's time for them to bloom. Just relax and enjoy your garden - and trust your daffodils. They know what they're doing.