Tomatoes and Peppers - Knowledgebase Question

maryland hgts., Mi
Question by osage940
I have a small space for gardening and I don't have room too rotate crops. I know that I need to add hydrogen to the soil for tomato plants. What is the best additive, blood meal or something else and how much? Do I need to add an amendment for the peppers?

Crop rotation is recommended so your plants can avoid disease pathogens that remain in the soil. If your tomatoes have been healthy in the past, there should not be a problem, especially if you plant the most disease resistant varieties you can find. Both tomatoes and peppers will thrive in regular garden soil amended with compost or aged manure. Mix a good quantity of organic matter into your soil prior to planting and then side dress with a fertilizer formulated for tomatoes. That's all your plants should need to grow strong and produce healthy crops. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"