canary island date palm - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Ana, Ca
Question by pjmbdm
We purchased 2 of these plants that are small (10-12 inches) and then read that they grow to 60 ft. tall. I do not like those ugly super tall palm trees....is this what I've purchased?? I was going to put them in pots about 24 inches in diameter and hoped they'd grow not more than 6 ft. tall. Will the pots contain their growth or will they break out and take off????
Thanks!

0

Unless you purchased the dwarf variety (often called Pygmy Date Palm), I'm afraid your new palms will grow to gigantic sizes. Keeping them in containers may slow their growth for a while but you won't be able to keep them only 6' tall. Wish I had better news for you!