COLD DAMAGE - Knowledgebase Question

inglis, Fl
Question by ann_mariehaz
I am in north Fla and right after I planted Bougenvilla we got hit with below freezing weather they turned brown and have not resprouted.The same thing happed to my grapefruit tree. Can they be saved?

0

The roots of bougainvillea are usually hardy enough to withstand a short freeze, but the plants are usually set back by 4-6 weeks. Give your plant another month to recover. In the meantime, prune off the obviously dead plant parts. You should see new growth from the center of the plant. If you see nothing in a month, you will have to replace your bougainvillea.

Citrus trees can be nipped by frost but only the leaves are usually affected. Again, cut off all the obviously dead and damaged foliage and stems. You should see new growth in a few short weeks.

Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"