Laundry soap & vegetable gardens - Knowledgebase Question

phoenix, Ar
Question by lyn_dns
Me & my daughter started a veg garden. I have a washing machine on my back porch. After the cycle the laundry water drains thru a pipe that will overflow in the garden rows. Ive heard soap will not do any harm or will not make the vegetables unedible. Then I heard this is a bad idea. I need to know if I should change the direction of the pipe so it does not into the garden.

0

I understand your desire to conserve water and in some instances gray water (such as from your laundry) is okay to use in irrigation. But, it is never recommended for vegetables - only for ornamental plants. If you use soap rather than detergent, the soap won't harm ornamentals. Detergent will harm them. So, to be on the safe side, I would drain the pipe away from the vegetable garden.