HOUSE PLANTS - Knowledgebase Question

HOLLYWOOD, FL (Zone 10)
Question by latasaw36
I HAVE HOUSE PLANTS AND I BOUGHT 1 AND I HAD SOME SOME FLY FLYING ALL AROUND MY HOUSE. hOW CAN I GET RID OF THEM. SOMETIMES THEY HAVE LIKE A WHITE WEB OVER THE SOIL WHAT IS THAT. I LOVE MY PLANTS BUT I CAN'T STAND THE LITTLE FLIES.

0

It sounds like fungus gnats are living in the potting soil. There are several ways to control them. They breed in wet soil, so topping the soil surface with a layer of coarse sand or gravel will create a quick drying barrier. You can also treat the soil with a drench galled Gnatrol. Either way, the adults will live out their remaining week or so and there will be no subsequent generation to replace them. The webbing is probably not from the insects but is a fungus which can grow on overly moist soils. Covering the soil with sand or gravel will also control the webbing. Best wishes with your houseplants!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"