best roses for the southwest desert - Knowledgebase Question

Gilbert, Ar
Question by reetzrobert
I want to know how to plant a successful rose garden in the desert region. Also would like to know what types of different roses there are and which are hardy. I want to know which roses are yellow,pink, red,orange,ect. by their name when there isn't a tag on them telling color just name.

0

Roses actually do very well in the low desert, and have two sustained blooming periods, one in the spring (March-May) and another in the fall (Sept-Oct), when temperatures cool. Most people are surprised to learn that Maricopa County grows about 40 percent of all the rose plants sold in the U.S. However, we're at the end of the planting season. Roses do best planted from November through March. They're moisture sensitive, so trying to plant once the weather heats up is more problematic. Check the moisture level in the soil regularly. (Push any pointed stick or rod, such as a long screwdriver, into the soil. If it moves through easily, the soil is moist. When the probe stops, it's hit dry soil.) You want to keep the soil uniformly moist, not wet, to a depth of about 2 feet. As far as varieties go, there are literally hundreds to choose from and matters of taste vary from person to person. I'd suggest that you check out some local rose beds to see what's attractive to you. Two great places to look at varieties include the rose garden at Mesa Community College (Dobson & Southern) and to see old garden or heritage roses, the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Heritage Rose Garden (4341 E. Broadway Road, Phoenix). Both are open daily at no charge.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"